Psychological Distress among Parents due to Their Children Having Cancer: A Systematic Review
1. Steliarova-Foucher E, Colombet M, Ries LAG, Moreno F, Dolya A, Bray F, et al. International incidence of childhood cancer, 2001–10: a population-based registry study. Lancet Oncol. 2017; 18 (6): 719–31.
2. World Health Organization. Childhood cancer; 2021.
3. Phipps S, Long A, Hudson M, Rai SN. Symptoms of post-traumatic stress in children with cancer and their parents: effects of informant and time from diagnosis. Pediatr Blood Cancer. 2005; 45 (7): 952–9.
4. Masa'deh R, Jarrah S. Post traumatic stress disorder in parents of children with cancer in Jordan. Archives of psychiatric nursing. 2017; 31(1): 8-12.
5. Bemis H, Yarboi J, Gerhardt CA, Vannatta K, Desjardins L, Murphy LK, et al. Childhood cancer in context: sociodemographic factors, stress, and psychological distress among mothers and children. J Pediatr Psychol. 2015; 40 (8): 733–43.
6. Rahmani A, Azadi A, Pakpour V, Faghani S, Afsari E. Anxiety and depression: a cross-sectional survey among parents of children with cancer. Indian J Palliat Care. 2018; 24 (1): 82–5.
7. Sloper P. Predictors of distress in parents of children with cancer: a prospective study. J Pediatr Psychol. 2000; 25 (2): 79–91.
8. Muscara F, Burke K, McCarthy MC, Anderson VA, Hearps SJC, Hearps SJ, et al. Parent distress reactions following a serious illness or injury in their child: a protocol paper for the take a breath cohort study. BMC Psychiatry. 2015; 15 (1): 1–11.
9. National Comprehensive Cancer Network. Distress management: clinical practice guidelines in oncology. JNCCN J Natl Compr Cancer Netw. 2013; 11 (2): 190–209.
10. McCarthy MC, McNeil R, Drew S, Dunt D, Kosola S, Orme L, et al. Psychological distress and posttraumatic stress symptoms in adolescents and young adults with cancer and their parents. J Adolesc Young Adult Oncol. 2016; 5 (4): 322–9.
11. Mirowsky J, Ross CE. Social causes of psychological distress. Sociology of Health & Illness. 2003; 12: 492.
12. El-Jawahri A, Greer JA, Park ER, Jackson VA, Kamdar M, Rinaldi SP, et al. Psychological distress in bereaved caregivers of patients with advanced cancer. J Pain Symptom Manage; 2020.
13. Rosenberg AR, Dussel V, Kang T, Geyer JR, Gerhardt CA, Feudtner C, et al. Psychological distress in parents of children with advanced cancer. JAMA Pediatr. 2013; 167 (6): 537–43.
14. Bakula DM, Sharkey CM, Perez MN, Espeleta HC, Gamwell KL, Baudino M, et al. The relationship between parent distress and child quality of life in pediatric cancer: A meta-analysis. J Pediatr Nurs. 2020; 50: 14–9.
15. Schepers SA, Sint Nicolaas SM, Maurice-Stam H, Haverman L, Verhaak CM, Grootenhuis MA. Parental distress 6 months after a pediatric cancer diagnosis in relation to family psychosocial risk at diagnosis. Cancer. 2018; 124 (2): 381–90.
16. Carlsson T, Kukkola L, Ljungman L, Hovén E, von Essen L. Psychological distress in parents of children treated for cancer: an explorative study. PLoS One. 2019; 14 (6): 1–18.
17. Templier M, Paré G. A framework for guiding and evaluating literature reviews. Commun Assoc Inf Syst. 2015; 37: 112–37.
18. Sugiyono. Metode penelitian kuantitatif, kualitatif, dan tindakan. 2012p. 189-190.
19. Srivastava S, Menon V, Kayal S, Hari M, Dubashi B. Level of anxiety and depression and its clinical and sociodemographic determinants among the parents of children with cancer undergoing chemotherapy. J Neurosci Rural Pract. 2020; 11 (4) :530–7.
20. Collins MLZ, Bregman J, Ford JS, Shields CL. Depression, anxiety, and stress in parents of patients with retinoblastoma. Am J Ophthalmol. 2019; 207: 130–43.
21. Vernon L, Eyles D, Hulbert C, Bretherton L, McCarthy MC. Infancy and pediatric cancer: an exploratory study of parent psychological distress. Psychooncology. 2017; 26 (3): 361–8.
22. Al Qadire M, Al-Sheikh H, Suliman M, Tawalbeh LI, Albashtawy M, Al-Radwan M, et al. Predictors of anxiety and depression among parents of children with cancer in Jordan. Psychooncology. 2018; 27 (4):1344–6.
23. Wikman A, Mattsson E, von Essen L, Hovén E. Prevalence and predictors of symptoms of anxiety and depression, and comorbid symptoms of distress in parents of childhood cancer survivors and bereaved parents five years after end of treatment or a child’s death. Acta Oncol (Madr). 2018; 57 (7): 950–7.
24. Lakkis NA, Khoury JM, Mahmassani DM, Ramia MS, Hamadeh GN. Psychological distress and coping strategies in parents of children with cancer in Lebanon. Psychooncology. 2016; 25 (4): 428–34.
25. Rosenberg AR, Dussel V, Kang T, Russel J, Gerhardt CA, Feudtner C. Psychological distress in parents of children with advanced cancer. 2014; 167 (6): 537–43.
26. Isabel Tan X, Mordiffi S, Lopez V, Leong K. Psychological distress in parents of children with cancer: a descriptive correlational study. Asia-Pacific J Oncol Nurs. 2021; 8 (1): 94.
27. Aziza YDA, Wang S, Huang M, Wang S-T, Huang M-C. Unmet supportive care needs and psychological distress among parents of children with cancer in Indonesia. Psychooncology. 2019; 28 (1): 92–8.
28. Hidayati NO. Dampak kemoterapi pada anak penderita kanker di rumah cinta Bandung. Jurnal Keperawatan 'Aisyiyah. 2017; 4 (2): 41-53.
29. Norberg AL, Boman KK. Parent distress in childhood cancer: a comparative evaluation of posttraumatic stress symptoms, depression and anxiety. Acta Oncol (Madr). 2008; 47 (2): 267–74.
30. Haug TT, Mykletun A, Dahl AA. Are anxiety and depression related to gastrointestinal symptoms in the general population? Scand J Gastroenterol. 2002; 37 (3): 294–8.
31. Van Oudenhove L, Vandenberghe J, Geeraerts B, Vos R, Persoons P, Demyttenaere K, et al. Relationship between anxiety and gastric sensorimotor function in functional dyspepsia. Psychosom Med. 2007; 69 (5): 455–63.
32. Sari DN, Murni AW. Hubungan ansietas dan depresi dengan derajat dispepsia fungsional di RSUP Dr M Djamil Padang periode Agustus 2013 hingga Januari 2014. J Kesehat A. 2014; 6 (1): 117–22.
33. Alijaniha F, Noorbala A, Afsharypuor S, Naseri M, Fallahi F, Mosaddegh M, et al. Relationship between palpitation and mental health. Iran Red Crescent Med J. 2016; 18 (3).
34. Leander M, Lampa E, Rask-Andersen A, Franklin K, Gislason T, Oudin A, et al. Impact of anxiety and depression on respiratory symptoms. Respir Med. 2014; 108 (11): 1594–600.
35. Izadinia N, Amiri M, Jahromi RG, Hamidi S. A study of relationship between suicidal ideas, depression, anxiety, resiliency, daily stresses and mental health among Tehran university students. Procedia - Soc Behav Sci. 2010; 5 (2): 1615–9.
36. Roth T. Insomnia: definition, prevalence, etiology, and consequences. J Clin Sleep Med. 2007; 3 (5 SUPPL.): 3–6.
37. Gallagher S, Phillips AC, Carroll D. Parental stress is associated with poor sleep quality in parents caring for children with developmental disabilities. J Pediatr Psychol. 2010; 35 (7): 728–37.
38. Fortin M, Bravo G, Hudon C, Lapointe L, Dubois MF, Almirall J. Psychological distress and multimorbidity in primary care. Teach Psychol. 2006; 24 (3): 192–3.
39. Creswell PD, Wisk LE, Litzelman K, Allchin A, Witt WP. Parental depressive symptoms and childhood cancer: the importance of financial difficulties. Support Care Cancer. 2014; 22 (2): 503–11.
40. Mondal M, Dey T, Poddar S. A Study to assess the quality of life (QOL) among parents of children with acute lymphoblastic leukemia (ALL) attending oncology out patient department (OPD) in selected hospital of Kolkata, West Bengal, India. Malaysian Journal of Medicine and Health Sciences. 2020; 16 (110).
- There are currently no refbacks.