Junk Food Consumption and Symptoms of Mental Health Problems: A Meta-Analysis for Public Health Awareness
1. Housen T, Lenglet A, Shah S, Sha H, Ara S, Pintaldi G, et al. Trauma in the Kashmir Valley and the mediating effect of stressors of daily life on symptoms of posttraumatic stress disorder, depression and anxiety. Conflict and Health. 2019; 13 : 58.
2. Mangurian C, Chaudhry S, Capitelli L, Amiel J, Rosario F, Jackson C, et al. Implementation of a weight loss program for latino outpatients with severe mental illness. Community Mental Health Journal. 2013;49 (2): 150–6.
3. Choi Y, Kim J-H, Yoo K-B, Cho KH, Choi J-W, Lee TH, et al. The effect of cost-sharing in private health insurance on the utilization of health care services between private insurance purchasers and nonpurchasers: a study of the Korean health panel survey (2008–2012). BMC Health Services Research. 2015; 15: 489.
4. Chaney S. “A hideous torture on himself”: madness and self-mutilation in victorian literature. Journal of Medical Humanities. 2011; 32: 279–89.
5. Houser KA, Vîlcică ER, Saum CA, Hiller ML. Mental health risk factors and parole decisions: does inmate mental health status affect who gets released. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health. 2019; 16 (16): 2950.
6. Kolta B, Rossi G. Paraphilic disorder in a male patient with autism spectrum disorder: incidence or coincidence. Cureus. 2018;10 (5):e2639.
7. Adorjan K, Falkai P. Premature mortality, causes of death, and mental disorders. Lancet. 2019; 394 (10211): 1784–6.
8. Lestari W, Wardhani F. Stigma and management on people with severe mental disorders with “pasung” (physical restraint). Pusat Humaniora Kebijakan Kesehatan dan Pemberdayaan Masyarakat. 2014; 157–66.
9. Lugo-Candelas CI, Harvey EA, Breaux RP, Herbert SD. Ethnic differences in the relation between parental emotion socialization and mental health in emerging adults. Journal of Child and Family Studies. 2016; 25: 922–38.
10. Benjet C, Borges G, Méndez E, Albor Y, Casanova L, Orozco R, et al. Eight-year incidence of psychiatric disorders and service use from adolescence to early adulthood: longitudinal follow-up of the Mexican adolescent mental health survey. European Child & Adolescent Psychiatry. 2016; 25 (2): 163–73.
11. Ljungberg T, Bondza E, Lethin C. Evidence of the importance of dietary habits regarding depressive symptoms and depression. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health. 2020; 17 (5): 1616.
12. Conner TS, Brookie KL, Carr AC, Mainvil LA, Vissers MCM. Let them eat fruit! the effect of fruit and vegetable consumption on psychological well-being in young adults: a randomized controlled trial.van Wouwe JP, editor. PLoS One. 2017;12 (2): e0171206.
13. De Vogli R, Kouvonen A, Gimeno D. The influence of market deregulation on fast food consumption and body mass index: a cross-national time series analysis. Bulletin of the World Health Organization. 2014;92 (2): 99–107A.
14. Thomas F, Thomas C, Hooper L, Rosenberg G, Vohra J, Bauld L. Area deprivation, screen time and consumption of food and drink high in fat salt and sugar (HFSS) in young people: results from a cross-sectional study in the UK. BMJ Open. 2019; 9 (6):e027333.
15. Zahedi H, Kelishadi R, Heshmat R, Motlagh ME, Ranjbar SH, Ardalan G, et al. Association between junk food consumption and mental health in a national sample of Iranian children and adolescents:The CASPIAN-IV study. Nutrition. 2014; 30 (11–12): 1391–7.
16. Lassale C, Batty GD, Baghdadli A, Jacka F, Sánchez Villegas A,Kivimäki M, et al. Healthy dietary indices and risk of depressive outcomes: a systematic review and meta-analysis of observational studies. Molecular Psychiatry. 2019; 24 (7): 965–86.
17. Stewart LA, Clarke M, Rovers M, Riley RD, Simmonds M, Stewart G, Tierney JF. Preferred reporting items for a systematic review and metaanalysis of individual participant data: the PRISMA-IPD statement. Jama. 2015 Apr 28; 313 (16): 1657-65.
18. Camilleri GM, Méjean C, Kesse-Guyot E, Andreeva VA, Bellisle F, Hercberg S, et al. The associations between emotional eating and consumption of energy-dense snack foods are modified by sex and depressive symptomatology. Journal of Nutrition. 2014; 144 (8): 1264–73.
19. Chaplin K, Smith AP. Breakfast and snacks: associations with cognitive failures, minor injuries, accidents and stress. Nutrients. 2011;3(5): 515–28.
20. Kulkarni AA, Swinburn BA, Utter J. Associations between diet quality and mental health in socially disadvantaged New Zealand adolescents. European Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 2015;69 (1): 79–83.
21. Polanin JR, Snilstveit B. Converting between effect sizes. Campbell Systematic Reviews. 2016; 12 (1): 1-13.
22. Zahra J, Ford T, Jodrell D. Cross-sectional survey of daily junk food consumption, irregular eating, mental and physical health and parenting style of British secondary school children. Child: Care, Health and Development. 2014; 40 (4): 481–91.
23. Oellingrath IM, Svendsen M V, Hestetun I. Eating patterns and mental health problems in early adolescence–a cross sectional study of 12–13-year-old Norwegian schoolchildren. Public Health Nutrition. 2014; 17(11): 2554–62.
24. Park S, Lee Y, Lee JH. Association between energy drink intake, sleep, stress, and suicidality in Korean adolescents: energy drink use in isolation or in combination with junk food consumption. Nutrition Journal. 2016; 15: 87.
25. Xu H, Wu X, Wan Y, Zhang S, Yang R, Wang W, et al. Interaction effects of co-consumption of fast food and sugar sweetened beverages on psychological symptoms: evidence from a nationwide survey among Chinese adolescents. Journal of Affective Disorders. 2020; 276: 104–11.
26. Costa RM, Brody S. Immature psychological defense mechanisms are associated with greater personal importance of junk food, alcohol, and television. Psychiatry Research. 2013; 209 (3): 535–9.
27. Jacob L, Stubbs B, Firth J, Smith L, Haro JM, Koyanagi A. Fast food consumption and suicide attempts among adolescents aged 12–15 years from 32 countries. Journal of Affective Disorders. 2020; 266:63–70.
28. Polat S, Cuhaci N, Evranos B, Ersoy R, Cakir B. Gynecomastia: clinical evaluation and management. Indian Journal of Endocrinology and Metabolism. 2014; 18 (2): 150.
29. Palacios OM, Cortes HN, Jenks BH, Maki KC. Naturally occurring hormones in foods and potential health effects. Toxicology Research and Application. 2020; 4: 239784732093628.
30. Surya Anita YTS. The correlation between junk food consumption and age of menarche of elementary school student in gedung Johor Medan. Unnes Journal of Public Health. 2018; 7 (1).
31. Averina M, Brox J, Huber S, Furberg A-S. Perfluoroalkyl substances in adolescents in northern Norway: lifestyle and dietary predictors. The Tromsø study, Fit Futures 1. Environ Int. 2018;114: 123–30.
32. Kang SY, Kim H-B, Sunwoo S. Association between anemia and maternal depression: a systematic review and meta analysis. Journal of Psychiatric Research. 2020; 122: 88–96.
33. Rudyk O, Makra P, Jansen E, Shattock MJ, Poston L, Taylor PD. Increased cardiovascular reactivity to acute stress and salt-loading in adult male offspring of fat fed non-obese rats. Stadler K, editor. PLoS One. 2011; 6 (10): e25250.
34. Hartono RK, Hamid SA, Hafizurrachman. Could National health insurance prevent overweight? a case study in Indonesia. In: Proceedings of the 5th Universitas Ahmad Dahlan Public Health Conference (UPHEC 2019). Paris, France: Atlantis Press; 2020. p.32–6.
35. Quintana DS. From pre-registration to publication: a non-technical primer for conducting a meta-analysis to synthesize correlational data. Frontiers in Psychology. 2015; 6: 1–9.
36. MedlinePlus. Mental disorders; 2014.
37. Ghandour RM, Sherman LJ, Vladutiu CJ, Ali MM, Lynch SE, Bitsko RH, et al. Prevalence and treatment of depression, anxiety, and conduct problems in US children. The Journal of Pediatrics. 2019; 206:256–67.
38. Biddle SJH, Ciaccioni S, Thomas G, Vergeer I. Physical activity and mental health in children and adolescents: an updated review of reviews and an analysis of causality. Psychology of Sport and Exercise. 2019; 42: 146–55.
39. Ueda P, Tong L, Viedma C, Chandy SJ, Marrone G, Simon A, et al. Food marketing towards children: brand logo recognition, food-related behavior and BMI among 3–13-year-olds in a South Indian tow. PLoS One. 2012; 7 (10): e47000.
40. Reichelt AC, Rank MM. The impact of junk foods on the adolescent brain. Birth Defects Research. 2017; 109 (20): 1649-58.
41. Winarni I, Lestari R. Eksplorasi fenomena korban bullying pada kesehatan jiwa remaja di pesantren. Jurnal Ilmu Keperawatan: Journal of Nursing Science. 2016; 4 (2): 99–113.
42. Gupta P, Shah D, Kumar P, Bedi N, Mittal HG, Mishra K, et al. Indian Academy of pediatrics guidelines on the fast and junk foods, sugar sweetened beverages, fruit juices, and energy drinks. Indian Pediatrics. 2019; 56 (10): 849–63.
43. Riehm KE, Young AS, Feder KA, Krawczyk N, Tormohlen KN, Pacek LR, et al. Mental health problems and initiation of e cigarette and combustible cigarette use. Pediatrics. 2019; 144 (1): e20182935.
44. Chao AM, White MA, Grilo CM, Sinha R. Examining the effects of cigarette smoking on food cravings and intake, depressive symptoms, and stress. Eat Behaviors. 2017; 24: 61–5.
45. Halfon N, Larson K, Slusser W. Associations between obesity and comorbid mental health, developmental, and physical health conditions in a nationally representative sample of US children aged 10 to 17. Academic Pediatrics. 2013; 13 (1): 6–13.
46. Mohiuddin AK. Fast food addiction: a major public health concern;2019.
47. Singh UK, Gautam N, Bhandari TR, Sapkota N. Educational intervention of intention change for consumption of junk food among school adolescents in Birgunj metropolitan city, Nepal, based on theory of planned behaviors. Journal of Nutrition and Metabolism; 2020.
48. Selhub MD-E. Nutritional psychiatry: your brain on food. Harvard Health Publishing; 2015.
49. Verhaeghe N, De Maeseneer J, Maes L, Van Heeringen C, Annemans L. Health promotion in mental health care: perceptions from patients and mental health nurses. Journal of Clinical Nursing. 2013; 22 (11–12): 1569–78.
50. Partridge SR, Gibson AA, Roy R, Malloy JA, Raeside R, Jia SS, et al. Junk food on demand: a cross-sectional analysis of the nutritional quali ty of popular online food delivery outlets in Australia and New Zealand. Nutrients. 2020; 12 (10): 3107.
51. Powell LM, Nguyen BT. Fast-food and full-service restaurant consumption among children and adolescents. JAMA Pediatrics. 2013;167 (1): 14.
52. Fielding JE. Food deserts or food swamps?. Archives of Internal Medicine. 2011; 171 (13): 1171.
53. Du M, Tugendhaft A, Erzse A, Hofman KJ. Sugar sweetened beverage taxes: industry response and tactics. Yale Journal of Biology and Medicine. 2018; 91 (2): 185–90.
54. Mytton OT, Clarke D, Rayner M. Taxing unhealthy food and drinks to improve health. BMJ. 2012; 344: e2931.
55. Allcott H, Lockwood BB, Taubinsky D. Should we tax sugar-sweetened beverages? An overview of theory and evidence. Journal of Economic Perspectives. 2019; 33 (3): 202–27.
56. Kenney EL, Austin SB, Cradock AL, Giles CM, Lee RM, Davison KK, et al. Identifying sources of children’s consumption of junk food in Boston after-school programs, April–May 2011. Preventing Chronic Disease. 2014; 11: 140301.
57. Khalid U, Nosheen F, Raza MA, Ishaque M, Ahmad M, Ahmad SR, et al. A comparative study about the daily intake of fruits and vegetables among female students of two Universities of Faisalabad. Pakistan Journal of Nutrition. 2011; 10 (7): 684–9.
58. Vereecken C, Pedersen TP, Ojala K, Krolner R, Dzielska A, Ahluwalia N, et al. Fruit and vegetable consumption trends among adolescents from 2002 to 2010 in 33 countries. European Journal of Public Health. 2015; 25 (suppl 2): 16–9.
59. Haynes-Maslow L, Parsons SE, Wheeler SB, Leone LA. A qualitative study of perceived barriers to fruit and vegetable consumption among low-income populations, North Carolina, 2011. Preventing Chronic Disease. 2013; 10: 120206.
60. Rekhy R, McConchie R. Promoting consumption of fruit and vegetables for better health. Have campaigns delivered on the goals?. Appetite. 2014; 79: 113–23.
- There are currently no refbacks.